Certificate of Special Study
Beyond the Master's Degree
The Certificate of Special Study (CSS) is designed for MLIS, MSIM and MPS graduates who are interested in retooling and refreshing their skill base while connecting with other professionals in a graduate-level learning environment. This program features:
- A five-course plan of study shaped with a faculty advisor
- A specialization in the candidate’s field of concentration
- Three years to complete five three-credit-hour courses (fifteen total graduate credit hours)
- An exit interview with a faculty advisor after the completion of the fifth course
- A notation of the Certificate of Special Study and the area of concentration on the participant's Dominican University transcript
Librarians or information specialists may pursue the Certificate of Special Study to:
- Broaden their opportunities in another department or type of library
- Explore technology, digital records and the human-computer interface
- Prepare for management, administration and leadership positions
- Become updated and involved in community engagement, advocacy and activism
- Learn specialized areas of knowledge management, cataloging, archival studies, rare books and special collections
Students design the program to meet their individual interests and needs and may combine this certificate with other coursework toward the completion of the Master of Professional Studies.
The certificate is offered to graduates of MLIS, MSIM and MPS programs who want to add the specialization to a completed post-graduate degree. Certificate completion requires 15 graduate credit hours.
Students work in collaboration with a faculty advisor who specializes in the student's desired field of concentration to shape a plan of study. Visit the Dominican University Bulletin for additional information.