The Art of Renaissance and Baroque Rome
Contact Professor Jeffery Cote de Luna for more information
Founded more than 2,700 years ago, Rome is one of the oldest cities in Europe. It has been the capitol of the Roman Empire and then the Catholic Church. Over the centuries, it has become a kind of urban sandwich, with roads, buildings and monuments built over and next to those of previous eras. One can see evidence of this borrowing and layering throughout the city—it's fascinating!
Our group will cover approximately 300 years of Rome's intriguing history, beginning with the urban renewal and church-building that followed the Restoration of the papal court in the fifteenth century, then the sacred art and architecture of the Counter-Reformation in the sixteenth century, and the final evolution of the city into a visceral Baroque metropolis in the 17th century.
Students will enroll in the The Art of Renaissance and Baroque Rome: 1400–1700 for 3 credit hours. The class will meet twice during December on Dominican University's campus prior to departure.
Currently enrolled students may not opt for the satisfactory/unsatisfactory option for this course. Fulfills Dominican University area requirement: Fine Arts.
- When this program is offered again, individuals will need to complete an online application form
- Two faculty/staff recommendations are required for student applicants
- After acceptance, a $500 deposit and a Travel Medical Form signed by a licensed practitioner will be due by the advertised deposit deadline
Cost and Financial Aid
Program Fees: $3400*
- 3 credit hours
- Accommodations and continental breakfast
- Welcome and farewell group dinners
- Round-trip flight
- Health insurance
*Non-DU participants must also pay a $150 Non-DU fee. After deposit, non-DU participants must also pay a $1000 installment at the time of registration, and full payment of the program fees must be received three weeks before departure.
Scholarships and Financial Aid
- As this program occurs during the winter interim, rather than during a semester, state, federal, and Dominican aid do not apply
- All students should apply to Dominican University's Excellence in Experiential Learning Awards (ExcEL) to earn up to $2000 off the cost of the program
- Students can also consult with financial aid regarding their eligibility for additional loans or the Parent Plus Loan
Requirements and Eligibility
Freshman, sophomore, junior, senior standing or qualified adults
2.5 Dominican University GPA
Students must attend at least one information session
Housing and Transportation
Participants will be lodged in double rooms within a centrally located three-star hotel in Rome. Continental breakfast is included.
Round trip airfare Chicago–Rome–Chicago is included in the program fees. Information about the departure is provided at information sessions.
For more information, please contact:
Jeffery Cote de Luna
Faculty Program Director